Before you read this post you should know that:
Koumbaros refers to the male sponsor (sort of like the best man) and the Koumbara refers to the female sponsor (sort of like the maid of honour).
This picture is sourced from Los Angeles Wedding Photography.
In my experience at Greek weddings, there has never been a fuss as to what the Koumbaros should wear or weather it should be different to the other grooms men. However when a Koumbara is chosen to be the sponsor of the Bride and Groom there is often a bit more discussion as to what she should wear and where she should stand.
If the Bride and Groom choose a Koumbara to be their sponsor (and there is only one sponsor), then the Koumbara should stand next to the Groom.
If both a Koumbara and Koumbaros are chosen to be sponsors (this is two Koumbari), then the Koumbara will stand next to the Bride and the Koumbaros will stand next to the Groom.
However if the Koumbara and the Koumbaros are already married then they will both stand next to the Groom.
On the occasions when the Koumbara is standing next to the Groom, it is common to see the Koumbara wearing a different outfit to the bridesmaids.
However when the Koumbara is standing next to the Bride, then it is common to see the Koumbara wearing the same outfit as the other bridesmaids.
It is important to note that there are no specific rules associated with what the Koumbara should wear. The decision should be a mutual agreement between the Koumbari and the Bride & Groom.
The Koumbara who wears a different outfit to the Bridesmaids:
- Is often the only sponsor or Koumbari
- Is already married to the Koumbaros
- Will normally stand next to the Groom
- Will want to show the guests (through dress and stance) that she has the honour of being a Koumbara
- Has been asked by the Bride & Groom to ‘stand out’ so that she is different to the Bridesmaids
The Koumbara who wears the same outfit as the Bridesmaids:
- Will often stand next to the Bride
- Is usually a second sponsor (i.e. there is also a Koumbaro)
- Will want to dress the same as the Bridesmaids
- Does not want to stand out or look different in front of the wedding guests
should wear the same as the Bridesmaids? ♦
Related topics that you might like: